About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Wanaka Lead up and Next Stage pt2.

The Forster race gave us the platform to work from with a clear idea of what I needed to be done to focus on, prepare and hopefully make a good IM debut in Wanaka. I sat down with Rod and Higgo (my coaches from Trinova Multisport) and we discussed the plan forward. It was never a doubt in my mind that taking on triathlon seriously was going to involve loads of hard work, but when I saw the program I was a little knocked back.
I think I did as a lot of people do when they get there first Ironman program. I went through it and started looking at what I was going to be doing in 10 weeks rather than what I needed to in the next week...........Thoughts of you I need to run how far???? And I have to spend how long in the saddle?? All in all really overwhelming to start with, but just breaking it down into each week, just getting the training in and taking it day by day.

The first few weeks were good, getting in loads of training and I was finding that you really need to be patient. Racing Port half was a huge example. I was only 4 weeks into my new focus and 3 weeks weeks into the 12 week block and I had some high expectations, which just resulted in disappointment after failing on the run. I am learning very quickly this sport will reward those people who dedicate time to it. I really wasn’t being patient enough, only 3 weeks into the 12 week block and realistically only a month after the run focus began I just expected too much too early. Being patient is something I have gained an appreciation for over the last 4 months. In saying that you need to do the training, if your patient but sitting on the couch its obviously not going to happen.

The First result which started to show dividends of the hard work would have to be Canberra 70.3. Just a training race 6 weeks out from Wanaka there wasn’t much focus or taper but as it turned out a significant turning point. In ordinary conditions well for the swim and bike I managed a 30 min pb for the course. ……..and finally put together a run… previous best for 21.1 off the bike was 1:40….forget that 1:32…. Its hard to describe the feeling when something like that comes off. Relief maybe…Excitement?!?! I suppose the biggest thing was knowing that achieving my goals was possible. It’s easy for coaches, training partners, and family, yourself to tell you that you can get there, and you train your ass of hoping, but to see the development and the hard work start to pay off is a pretty awesome feeling.

Well after Canberra, things had changed. I now knew that my goals in triathlon were achievable, and I had progressed further in 3 months than I had penciled in to achieve in 6. In saying that there was now expectation. But I took the same approach as I had earlier. Just take it a week at a time, make sure the totals added up at the end of the week and just chip away and stay relaxed.
Another turning point came a few weeks after Canberra and to be honest was a real shock, getting an email from TriNSW inviting me to join in the Endurance Development Squad camp. Wow…… Unexpected, but what an opportunity. Something must be going right. Unfortunately it turned out to be on the same weekend as Wanaka, so I couldn’t attend and I was a little disappointed. It did however give me a chance to have a chat to the coach Mel Ashton and it was really good to hear some of her wisdom. Being so new to the sport I’m like a sponge trying to take in as much information from the experienced contingent as I can, and having someone like Mel to listen to before my first IM was a very valuable addition to the knowledge bank on top of Rod, Higgo and the other guys I’ve been training with which proved to be vital in Wanaka.

Looking back at my training diary it’s easy to see the patterns that come out of that preparation block and being consistent just meant I had the confidence of knowing I had done everything possible in the short period of time to prepare for Wanaka. I would love to hear how many times Rod, Higgo and everyone else that’s been there for that matter, reassured me that if I got the miles in and stayed consistent that’s all that would matter, but in your head; well for me anyway, you continually think is it enough? Am I doing the right stuff? Should I keep pushing? Not having been through it before you just don’t know. But listen to the people around you who have been there and performed. Obviously it is all goal dependent and not everyone is out there to win a race, but to perform at the top its simple…put n the work and be a little bit lucky.

For those that have read Maccas book, one quote that sticks in my mind is that you cant lie to the guy in the mirror. You can tell stories to anyone in any way you want, but at the end of the day it comes down to you.  If you want to lie to that guy....your screwed.  Be honest in what you have done and be honest with what your expectations are.  If you want to be at the pointy end you need to put the work in, but if you want to just acomplish the the feat of finishing, then do what you can and try and enjoy it as much as you can. 

Loads of respect to Adam Mac.....in Wanaka one goal..... finish. brutal course and condition and 15hrs 50 later brings it home. Doesent have all the time in the world to train with work family and children, but does what he can, then goes out there suffers with everyone else but enjoys the accomplishment.  Full respect AMac!!!!

Over this last 4 months I have really learned a lot about my body, Training and the sport in General in soo many different ways. You get an appreciation for taking care of your body through your food intake, recovery and mental state. It is important to have the people around you to ensure that your environment is friendly for you. Triathlon is a Sport that takes a lot of time and effort on and off the training pitch. If you don’t enjoy the people you are training with and there isn’t the support at home it can become a very difficult sport to enjoy.

Luckily for me I have a great bunch of guys (Macca, Donk, Dan, Clarkey, Justo, Loz, and the rest of the Trinova Crew) to train with, great coaches Rod and Ben and most of all an awesome supporter at home. Alicia is unbelievable not only is she my fiance (only just recently ) but my personal sports dietitian and no.1 supporter. Without her I am more than happy to say I wouldn’t be where I am now. From encouraging me out of bed when I really struggle, to planning out all my dietary needs from racing to day to day.

She has her own business www.compeatnutrition.com dedicated predominantly to team and endurance sports nutrition. Which for those that are involved know that it deserves a bit of a push. In this sport I am super lucky to have her by my side every day. So if your in the sport and need help in optimizing performance, race nutrition, or just day to day to control weight and energy…get on board that’s all I can say.

Well I suppose now is to get to the race, but that will be my next blog. Remember if anyone has any questions feel free to pop me an email or just comment on the post, and ill do my best.

Until then.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment