About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Race Preview – Nice Half Marathon.

Now that the festive season has finished it was time to get back into some serious training. Not sure if I mentioned it before but the marathon plan was shelved for the time being deciding to focus on my half marathon and keep my swim and bike fitness in check and try to plug away consistently for the upcoming Europe Tri season and of course for the final part of the Dutch hockey season (there will be more on the hockey to come)

Making up part of our small euro trip the Nice-Monaco Half marathon on the 6th of Feb has thankfully given me a race to aim for and a will hopefully provide a guide to see if the training is on track. From what I can see the run goes from Nice along the coastline and into Monaco. Some good scenery but at the same time I have a feeling there is going to be some killer hills. It is a little hard to understand with it all being French.

Being my first event (triathlon/running etc) since August last year I am excited but at the same time getting a little nervous with this the first real test on the new focused training program. The thoughts going through my head, “what do I expect?”, “I know I have done the training”, “how will I handle the terrain?” Having trained in more consistently and with more volume for the last three months than ever before, every week is a new achievement. With the training times coming down more an more you just wonder what is the limit and how will my body react? I think approaching this one with an open mind, going out, just hitting the pavement and see what happens is going to be a good approach.

Im sure there will be some photos to be shared from this one so ill be sure to include them in my post race update. Hopefully everything goes well and I can post a good result.

Stay tuned.

Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment