About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cartouche Benefit. . . . The last, last game.

Well here it is. The official last, last game. After almost exactly 9 months my last game of hockey for Cartouche, in Europe and possibly for some time to come had arrived. While not really being a competitive fixture it kind of felt good to be playing my last game in a relaxed environment. The team an “Oud Cartouche” side made up of old juniors and ex Heren 1 players from over the last few years. The contest really just an exhibition match acted the highlight for a cancer benefit organized predominantly by Floris Benchop an ex Cartouchian, who recently won the Euro hockey league with Timmo Kranstauber (also playing with the Oud fellas) with HGC. I suppose that kind of gives an indication of the quality of players we were up against, but nonetheless the attitude was good and everyone approached the game with a really relaxed attitude. I have to say we did play pretty well even if the score sheet did suggest a flogging at 7-2.

Easily the difference was how they made us pay for our mistakes. I will take the hit for two of the goals first a pass to their CF inside the 25m, and second a miss trap letting the ball go through to our undefended circle resulted in goals, though that is what you get when you don’t pick up a stick for 2 weeks. All in all it was a fun game and to top it off I; along with Bosman and Groen (the other guys calling it a day with Cartouche Heren 1) were given a final send off. It is pretty cool what they do here, with 5-10 mins to go they stop the game and the retiring players are substituted for one last time and presented with flowers (yes very masculine) and another gift. For me it was a bottle of Jenever. I am told that it goes well with Cola but we will find out. It seemed a good way to finish everything off. Playing some class opponents and just having a relaxing time running around the park.

I did think this was it however It became obvious there was more to come. Before the game Pieter had subtly said to me,

“You know that it is tradition for the retiring players to go swimming together in the creek beside the clubhouse after the game”.

Well I didn’t take much notice, or think much of it at the time, but I was to find out oh so well that he was
very serious. After we had all showered and were enjoying a beer or two Bosman found himself being picked up and carried towards the so called creek, followed soon after by an ever protesting Groen. Deductive logic told me I was next. Having already taken a shower and no extra set of clothes I decided it was a good idea to get myself back into my playing kit. A good choice, while I fought hard it was inevitable ending up in this so called creek. A creek resembled more of a stagnant bog than a creek. Alicia would agree as apparently you could smell me from a mile away, not to mention the 3 days of soaking and 2 washes it took to get the smell, color and crap out of my clothes.

I know probably not everyone’s idea of a quality send off but overall I think it was pretty special, apart from the whole being thrown in the bog and smelling like crap thing. It is definitely something I will remember for years to come. It has been a good season, especially meeting and getting to know all the guys in our team. Without these guys I really don’t think that our time here would have been as enjoyable as it has been. Guys if any of you read this thanks for the year, it was great experience and I can only hope you have enjoyed us being here much as we enjoyed being part of the team.

So for now in regards to hockey I suppose that’s it from me……………………..for this chapter anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment