About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Zandvoort Circiut and Oud Gastel Triathlons

The way in which the last two panned out kind of suited both of them being put into one post, especially as id rather forget about them both and move on. So in that fashion here goes.

Race 1 – Zandvoort Circuit Triathlon - An email three days before the Zandvoort race really set up how this one would be approached. This email basically said that if the wind was up the swim was off, for me not something that I like to hear, especially considering that in the Netherlands it I always windy……

Well come race morning I have to be honest there were definitely other places I would have rather been. The temperature 13 degrees, the wind 42km/h and it was flogging down rain. To then top it all off of course the swim was cancelled turning the race into a duathlon (run / bike / run) with a 4km/40km/10km distance. With my leg still on the mend I wasn’t 100% on racing but pride prevailed and I just figured Id use it as a solid training session.

To get the ball rolling I just cruised through the first 4 coming into transition about 2.5 – 3 min behind the lead then rode through the field to clock a 1:02 – 40km, in what was tough conditions. Off the bike it felt ok except for some of the downhill sections where I could feel a little bit of a niggle but all in all it was ok as I cam e in with a 35min run. The claim was it was 10km, however I think it was much closer to 9km than 10. Final time - 1:55 finishing just inside the top 30 I think. I felt reasonably happy with the result having the swim cancelled creating a duathlon and backing up from a 25hr training week the 6 days prior.

On a separate story today was also the debut race for Alicia as she took on the sprint distance. Again the race was changes to a duathlon with her completing a 2.5/20/5. I think the change made her a happy as most times she really nervous before a race and the swim only add to the tension. Thus having it cancelled gave her a small sense of relief. Overall she went really well for her first hit out finishing inside the top 10 ladies overall, which for the first hit out was pretty impressive.

The Next weekend saw us head down to Oud Gastel for the next outing of the triathlon adventure. As per usual in Holland the weather was nothing to write home about with rain, winds (although not anywhere near the 42km of the previous week) and the temperature a meager 13C. For me it was a mid distance race of 1.3/60/14 and Alicia it was another sprint 500/20/5. Arriving at Oud Gastel and heading to check in, I quickly realized that this event was a descent size with a reasonably high quality field. With massive sponsor tents, banners and transition/finish chutes.

Swim – the 1300m river swim was nice. It’s weird to say this but the swim was kind of relaxing. Yes of course the effort was there but it was, in comparison to a lot of other race swims rather calm. I was out of the water in the 2nd group, just over 19.5min about a min behind the lead 4. Not the fastest swim by any accounts but still inside the top 10. A good transition saw me out onto the bike in about 8th with the main portion of our swim group.

Bike – Quickly riding away I started to find that comfort on the bike quickly and headed out on the first lap settling into what would be my half IM bike effort. Picking away at the guys in front in the below average conditions I managed to ride myself into 5th and begin the pass into 4th just under the 40km mark until I started to feel the bounces…….I couldn’t believe it. As Norman would say “not another f@#*$g flat tire!!!!” Not carrying a spare that was the end for me and thus began the trek back to the change rooms. Disappointing but having a good swim and starting to find the comfort on the bike also promising. I would have liked to see how I was progressing on the legs over the longer distance of the bike but will have to wait for that now and as super coach says, “there is always next week”.

My bummer aside, performance of the day goes to Alicia taking out a podium position in her sprint race in a smoking 1:07. Specific mention goes to her swim and bike times. For the 500m swim she posted an 8min 30s and for the bike a 35:50 and finished with a 20:20 run. Such a good result, I think that she is really going to enjoy the longer distance races contrary to what her beliefs are.

This weekend we head up to Noordwijkerhout for an Olympic distance race. Let’s hope Alicia can continue the form and I can find some luck. Either way another weekend and another race though it would be good to get some confidence heading into the IM 70.3 Belgium at the end of July not to mention put in a good performance for the visiting in-laws. So………. until then.

Doei.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan,

    I've enjoyed reading about your transition from the pleasant sport of hockey to the gruelling pain of triathlons. Looking forward to the Wanaka Race Report. Congratulations winning first place on debut, top effort.

    One question: In the Oud Gastel race I see you got a punctured tyre, but didn't bother carrying a spare tube or pump/CO2. For the small weight cost would it not make sense to have the back up? I realise once you have to stop to change the tube your time/placing goals will be destroyed. But wouldn't it be good from a training perspective to keep going, especially to work on your run off the bike (which you've highlighted as a weakness)? Do you carry tube etc nowadays? In Wanaka?

    Anyway, all the best as you continue. Watch out for them thorns.

    ReplyDelete