About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Announcements and Cairns Report (just a quickie)

Before I get going I think it is a good time to mention the people who are helping me get to Roth.  The last few months have seen some good progressive results.  This has in-tern resulted in some good support to help me even further in the sport.  The first mention goes to the Guys at Drift Bike (www.drifbikes.com.au) who have welcomed me to their team and been very helpful in getting me onto and fitted on my New Specialized Shiv and Tarmac Bikes and making sure I’m ready to roll on race day. My Work, Engineering Consultancy Hatch Associates Pty Ltd showing their support in my external interests, Bilbe Dan Solicitors and Attorneys in Newcastle (www.bilbedan.com.au), Skinfit Australia (www.skinfit.com.au) for all my racing and training apparel (www.skinfit.com.au) ,  Compeat Nutrition (www.compeatnutrition.com) helping me with all my day to day, race and training dietetic planning and Advice, TriNova Multisport for their coaching and guidance (www.trinova.com.au) and  Zeon Bagnall Exercise Physiology (www.zeonbagnall.com.au).   

Moving onto the races, Ill head backwards first and start with Cairns 70.3 and now nearly two weeks past I have to say that my thoughts on the race have changed quite a bit from the few days following.   As could be expect when you have a bad race or if everything doesn’t go quite as you would have liked or expected you end up being a little bit down or question yourself and wonder what happened.  But I have to be realistic. I went into this one knowing I was either going to go well or I was going to be a train wreck.  As it turned out having the biggest training (including the biggest run week) of my life had a pretty big impact on my race.  Not having put together the kind of training together consistently week after week meant that I assumed I would be able to freshen up in a day or two and compete in the top end of the race.  Rather ambitious I now see but overall I didn’t really know how fast I could recover to put in a solid race effort.  As I found out I needed much longer than I thought.   The Tuesday night track session earlier in the week was a ague I suppose and I struggled to even put together a couple of 1km efforts. I knew I was in a hole. All I hoped was that I was going to recover in time.  
Onto the race. . . . .

Before arriving in Cairns I was already in trouble having to leave my no.1 supporter and most important member of my team back in Newcastle. It was a little sad as this was the first race where Alicia hadn’t either been there to watch or competing herself since I can remember.
We arrived in Cairns to the torrential downpours that can be associated with the Nth Qld tropics.  To me I didn’t think it was that bad.  Only here for the race, rain meant it was at least a little bit cooler and would definitely provide a way to keep the 88kg motor cool.  Unfortunately however when I needed mother nature to be nasty the weather turned and the hot Nth Qld sun belted down in full force all day on race day turning parts of the run into more of a sauna than a run course. This led to my pre-race worries . . . .  If this temperature gets up near 28-30……. I’m cooked. Literally!!!

The SWIM - wasn’t too bad. I mean I didn’t feel great.  Normally I take a bit to get going but I was struggling to grab feet and find a rhythm, this was the first sure sign that I was going to struggle.  The last time I felt like this was in Germany for the European 70.3 a week after I had destroyed myself at the tristar 111 in Estonia.  I know I wasn’t anywhere near as fit then as I am now but I knew what I felt. But I soldiered on and was out of the water just on 27 min. Not the greatest but it will do. 
The BIKE – My aim here was to ride solid and consistent, which is what I did. I am happy with what I learned from the bike here.   Knowing I was tired, being able to put that bike together riding an even paced 90k was satisfying.  It gave me a good indication of my current bike fitness. Really happy, not to mention the first time ive ridden under 2:20.  Maybe there is also a concidence with it bieng my first proper race outing on the Shiv, she does look fast though ;-D hahahaha. 

The RUN - Well here is the fun part. Or not.  The answer to my run is simple, I wasn’t ready and hadn’t recovered from the training, and once the heat got up it was all over.  Racing here in this part of my prep I knew there was risk I wouldn’t have recovered.  But that is all part of the sport, learning and developing from the mistakes and using these mistakes to further develop your performance. Although I was struggling I decided it was best for the next few weeks of training leading into Roth if I turned the motor off, so to speak and just wander home.  Even struggling I could have toughed out a high 1:30 run, but at what cost.  In that heat and the state of my body I could have put myself out of action for two weeks and taken a massive blow to the Roth prep. I took the safer option.  Plus I got to have a sit down chat with a couple of young spectators.  Hopefully they want to get into the sport after our little sideline chat ahahhaha.
Overall I am pretty happy, I have never been off the bike in a 70.3 in under 2:45 before and In the 8 races I have competed in this year this is first one I have failed and I know the reasons why.  If I didn’t then it would be a different story.  The downer for the day would have been the bad sportsmanship shown by one athlete.  It is disappointing to see people who claim for themselves to be presenting a professional image but somehow think it is ok to harass and badmouth athletes and coaches during an event.  This is not what the sport is about, it is not something people want to see or be associated with when trying to simply enjoy the achievement.
Moving onto the fun stuff, I have to say the highlight of the weekend was definitely watching the other Trinova crew racing the 70.3 and the IM.  Big mentions go out to Nikki and Emily both completing their first ever half IM distance races, while Nath and Liz backed up from Melbourne to punch out solid IM times, Clarkey smashed himself again to finish second in his age group and book another ticket to the big island.  Cheering Chrissie Cook (better half of my coach) come home in her first IM in 10yrs. a very very solid effort and although there was once very important person missing from the weekend it was a good weekend, another successful day for Trinova Multisport and Compeat Nutrition and post-race, regardless of the result there was nothing a few jugs of beer with the guys couldn’t fix. Just like this one.... Thanks for the pic Nikki!!!!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment