About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Well, it's about bloody time!!!


Well it’s been a while, a little too long I suppose.. just over 7 months since the last triathlon and definitely longer since I last spewed some of my thoughts and experiences down through the keyboard. I must say that it was definitely a much needed hiatus after a very busy and demanding 14 month racing schedule followed by a number of changes in the journey of life there is a lot to think on and plenty more to look forward to.
After the trip to NZ for the Auckland 70.3 and then a back-up for Hell of the West I learned the hard way that the body has limits and if you’re looking for them, eventually you will find them.  Combine this with buying a new house and relocation to the nation’s capital and it makes for a very difficult environment to maintain any sort of consistency and quality in training.  As it turns out a blessing in disguise making me take some time to recover and refocus.

Finally settling in and getting into the new routine things started to get back on track a few lessons learned and definitely some good understanding of the body and how it can respond. The move to Canberra has also seen a change at the helm. Pretty happy to introduce the new coach Corey and the guys from Performance Triathlon Coaching, they have welcomed both myself and Alicia so well.  Having been under Corey’s direction and training with the new bunch of guys for about 8wks some real positive signs are already showing and with the season coming up soon there is definitely a hint of optimism as to what could be.  Having only been in the sport for a short period of time, and really having a limited exposure to different training methods, It has been very interesting and painful (haha) to see a different approach. Not to mention to see how hard and clinical the guys are down here. Something I fell is only going to benefit my performance but I suppose only time will tell.  
I do want to give a shout out to Rod and Ben my coaches from Trinova Multisport in Newcastle for their efforts and support over the last 3 years.  If it wasn’t for you I would never have made the call to retire from hockey and head off in this new direction.  Without your guidance I definitely would not have got anywhere near the level I am at in such a short period of time. Without these guys and the lads from the squad training would definitely have been nowhere near as fun or challenging, and still love going toe to toe on the odd Tuesday night run when I’m back in Newy. I can definitely vouch for these guys if you’re in Newcastle and looking for a squad to train with at any fitness level or ability, they cater for everyone. A great group of guys to know, train and party with of course. hehe :P

There is so much to tell about what I’ve learned just in the last 8 months about what I’m capable of, my limits and the best ways to manage the fatigue.  All posts for another time.  With so much to look forward to with this upcoming season, I am pretty happy to again be part of the Specialized Bikes (http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/home/) Ambassador program and know that with continued support from these guys, the new direction of Corey, and of course the support from a key asset in more ways than one from Compeat Nutrition (www.compeatnutrition.com) the early season Duathlon (I’ll get to them later) results could indicate some surprises on the not too distant horizon.

Until then.

Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment