About Me

In October 2011 I made the decision to retire from a successful Hockey career to peruse a new sporting endeavour . . . . Triathlon!!. Through this blog I am wanting to capture my development, progression, the changes, and challenges I have experienced on the way to trying to be successful in an entirely different sport dynamic. I hope you enjoy the read.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Winter Catch Up Part 1

Ok, first sorry to those people who have been waiting for my updates I have been a little bit slack in keeping my blog up to date. But anyway over the next few days I will be able to catch up my activities over the last few months.

For those that arent already aware the winter in Europe started early this year with some areas getting smashed with meters of snow. For us it wasn’t quite that bad but it was bad enough for our final two games of the first half of the season to be postponed due to the freezing conditions. In some ways a bad thing however it did mean that we were able to experience a white Christmas on the 25th as well as a white “Sinterklass” a traditional Dutch custom where gifts are given etc. The weather has been interesting but with all the snow it has made things very interesting, riding our bikes (cruisers) just to get anywhere has become soo hard as you try to stay upright on the frozen and slippery roads.

Training has also become hard with all the tracks frozen and covered with snow. I don’t think my body has ached so much after a run like it did after my first long run in the snow. The intention was to get in a 22km run but after 8 km (already at an hour) I decided it was time to turn around finishing the 16km in about 1 hour 50min. It was like running nowhere in a hurry, slipping with every step and trying to keep you balance on the uneven slippery surface. The result was some very sore ITBs, gluts and quads…all for the best I suppose.

So back to Dec 5 and we were lucky enough to be invited to celebrate Sinterklass with the Holtrop family having some good conversation, food including some delicious home made soup and finished off with some traditional Pannenkoeken (pancakes) for dessert, very nice. During the first week of December Alicia and I headed over to the UK for a week to catch up with some friends and to do a little travelling. Starting in London we managed to catch up with Bern and Steve (some friends from home) while walking about a 1000km in the three days we were there seeing all the sites in London. One specific mention would have to be the “Book of the Dead Exhibit” at the British Museum which told the story of the Ancient Egyptian customs regarding the afterlife and the scrolls they were buried with to help them get to the afterlife. This Exhibit was pretty amazing.

Leaving London we headed up to Leeds to catch up with some of my old friends. We had a great time and needless to say we drank lots and ate lots courtesy of my old coach Andy and Rockey (cheers guys you did a great job). It was great to catch up with Reg and Nick, Peck and of course Foxman, thanks for the hospitality and it was really good to see all you guys. Although my travel time is limited with my other commitments it was good to catch up on everything that has happened over the last 5 years and we both appreciate you guys letting us stay with you over the weekend….Cheers.

 
 The photos throughout are a selection of our trip in the UK and the snow we experienced in The Netherlands. Before you ask no i wasnt looking for Harrods. Finally of course while I was in the UK I managed to get at least one run.  This one was in the fields near Andys place in Wakefield, with his Black Lab Dylan also known as Dylan "OMG theres another dog" the Dog.

I think ill dub that last photo “Trinova in the UK”………….

Anyway there is more to come with the winter catch up part 2, and i promise it wont be long, so check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment